For over sixty years, the peer-reviewed Glossary of Meteorology has been the authoritative source for definitions of meteorological terms. A living document, containing over 12,000 terms, individual Glossary terms are periodically updated as our fields evolve.
- Suggest new term or revision to preexisting term.
- For information on citing and referencing the Glossary of Meteorology, see the Citation page.
- Glossary History and Procedures.
- If you are looking for the AMS e-book Glossary of Weather, Climate and Ocean, which is a textbook aimed at the K–12 level, it can be found in the AMS Education Bookstore. For further information on this textbook, please contact the AMS Education Program Director.
Existing Spanish-Language Dictionaries and Glossaries in the U.S.
(Provided by the AMS Latinx Committee)
- COMET Translation Resource Center, where the COMET English-Spanish Glossary of Meteorology and Other Terms is housed.
- NWS English to Spanish Dictionary
Disclaimer: Users will be directed outside the American Meteorological Society domain, as these sources are not affiliated with our organization. Please note that these two reference materials are working documents and are updated throughout the year. There may be errors and inconsistencies within these two references. For any questions or to provide feedback, please contact the respective organization by visiting their webpage.