Horizontal convective rolls

From Glossary of Meteorology
Revision as of 18:14, 26 January 2012 by imported>Perlwikibot (Created page with " {{TermHeader}} {{TermSearch}} <div class="termentry"> <div class="term"> == horizontal convective rolls == </div> <div class="definition"><div class="short_definition"...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

horizontal convective rolls

(Also known as horizontal roll vortices, boundary layer rolls.) Counter- rotating horizontal vortices that commonly occur within the convective boundary layer; their major axes are aligned with the mean boundary layer wind-shear vector.

The depth of the roll circulations is consistent with the depth of the boundary layer; the wavelength, measured from updraft to updraft in the cross-roll direction, is about three times the boundary layer depth.