Kelvin-helmholtz billows

From Glossary of Meteorology
Revision as of 14:32, 20 February 2012 by imported>Perlwikibot (Created page with " {{TermHeader}} {{TermSearch}} <div class="termentry"> <div class="term"> == Kelvin–Helmholtz billows == </div> #<div class="definition"><div class="short_definit...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Kelvin–Helmholtz billows

  1. Cloud forms that arise from Kelvin–Helmholtz waves.

  2. Vortical structures that result from the growth and nonlinear development of unstable waves in a shear flow.

    The billows get their name from the instability responsible for the growth of the unstable waves, Kelvin–Helmholtz instability.