Point gauge

From Glossary of Meteorology

point gauge

A device used to measure water levels.

It consists of an adjustable, pointed metallic rod that is lowered until it just pierces the water surface. A hook gauge is a similar device, except that the rod is U-shaped, and the submerged hook is raised until the point just breaks the water surface.

Copyright 2022 American Meteorological Society (AMS). For permission to reuse any portion of this work, please contact permissions@ametsoc.org. Any use of material in this work that is determined to be “fair use” under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act (17 U.S. Code § 107) or that satisfies the conditions specified in Section 108 of the U.S.Copyright Act (17 USC § 108) does not require AMS’s permission. Republication, systematic reproduction, posting in electronic form, such as on a website or in a searchable database, or other uses of this material, except as exempted by the above statement, require written permission or a license from AMS. Additional details are provided in the AMS Copyright Policy statement.